The SHA256 Litecoin fork. Yep.
Fork Block - At block 1371111, Litecoin Cash hard-forked away from the Litecoin blockchain.
10:1 Claim Ratio - For every 1 LTC you held at the fork block, you can claim 10 LCC.
SHA256 Mining - After the fork block, Litecoin Cash switched to SHA256 proof-of-work hashes. This enables a new use for previously obsolete Bitcoin mining hardware.
Network Resilience - Mining difficulty is recalculated every block, using Evan Duffield's proven DarkGravity V3 algorithm from Dash. This provides more predictable block times as well as network protection from multipool hopping.
Optimised for the Real World - Target block time of 2.5 minutes gives 4 times the transaction bandwidth of Bitcoin, while transactions are 90% cheaper than Litecoin.
Slow-Start Control - To prevent dominant early miners having an unfair advantage, block rewards will start at 0.25 LCC and grow to 250 LCC over the first 2000 blocks after the fork. The first 24 blocks after the fork will be mined at minimum difficulty. After this, DarkGravity will adjust the difficulty based on observed block generation time. The 250 LCC block reward (equivalent to 25 LTC) will halven at the same chain heights as Litecoin.
Small Premine - An equivalent amount to less than 1% of circulating money supply (less than 0.65% of total money supply) at fork time was paid to a development fund.
|Litecoin (LTC)||Litecoin Cash (LCC)||Bitcoin (BTC)||Bitcoin Gold (BTG)||Bitcoin Cash (BCH)||Bitcoin Diamond (BCD)|
|Max Supply||84 million||840 million||21 million||21 million||21 million||210 million|
|Distribution||Mining||Mining, Claiming||Mining||Mining, Claiming||Mining, Claiming||Mining, Claiming|
|Block Time||2.5 mins||2.5 mins||10 mins||10 mins||10 mins||10 mins|
|Difficulty Adjustment||3.5 days||Every block (DarkGravity)||2 weeks||Every block (EMA)||Every block (SMA)||2 weeks|
Compared to Litecoin: Litecoin Cash has lower transaction fees, better difficulty adjustment, and is mined with SHA256.
Compared to Bitcoin: LCC is much faster and cheaper, and has far more bandwidth and better difficulty retargeting.
Compared to Bitcoin Cash: Litecoin Cash supports Segwit, and has much faster block times.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no fast, cheap SHA256 coin with good difficulty adjustment. SHA256 miners have little practical choice of hashpower destination, and if they do mine blocks they're being paid in a currency with 10 minute block times.
We believe we can offer an excellent SHA256 coin for general usage. We love Litecoin, and wanted to give something to the brave hodler community. With everyone else too busy forking Bitcoin, we decided that the Litecoin blockchain was a perfect means of intial distribution for our coin.
Why are you using the Litecoin name? Is this an official Litecoin project?
No. We're using the Litecoin Cash name simply because it has become customary in recent months for a coin which forks a blockchain to prefix its name with the name of the coin being forked. This practice has become a widely understood convention. We're not associated or affiliated with Charlie Lee or any of the Litecoin team in any way; we are big fans though.
Will I be able to claim if I have coins stored on an exchange? Or a Ledger hardware wallet?
In general, exchange deposit addresses are no use, as you have no way of accessing the private key. However, some exchanges have already agreed to credit Litecoin holders at the time of the fork with Litecoin Cash; see our exchange list for more details.
If you use a Ledger, the simplest solution is to move funds from your Ledger to a desktop wallet, just until the fork block happens.
Part of the reason Ledger's so great is that it's impossible for you to directly access private keys for your wallet addresses. What is possible is to use your 24-word BIP39 phrase in conjunction with an offline tool such as this one, which you must save and run locally while disconnected from the internet. That tool can derive your private keys from your 24-word phrase, however, you really shouldn't do this. For one thing, you'll need to reinitialize your Ledger wallet in order to practice safe forking. It's really simplest to transfer your LTC to a desktop wallet, and transfer it back after the fork.
IN ALL CASES: Practice safe forking. That means you must never paste private keys that hold live funds into ANY website or wallet in order to claim fork coins -- including ours. After the fork, FIRST move your LTC to a new address, THEN use the private key from the "old" address to claim your LCC.
Did my wallet need to be unencrypted during the fork?
No; it didn't even need to be open. Paper wallets and other forms of cold wallet will receive LCC without issue.
If I own Litecoin, do I automatically own Litecoin Cash too?
Yes. Anyone holding Litecoin at block 1371111 will have 10X as much Litecoin Cash. If your LTC is stored by a third party such as an exchange, then you must inquire with them about claiming your Litecoin Cash.
How do I claim my Litecoin Cash once I have my private key?
Firstly, NEVER paste private keys that hold any currency into ANY website or wallet in order to claim forked coins (including ours). Practice responsible forking: 1. Wait for the fork; 2. Move your Litecoin to a new address; 3. Use the private key for the "old" address to claim your Litecoin Cash.
We've made it super easy to claim. No need to mess around in the debug console! Download a wallet for your platform, and you'll find a menu item to help you import your Litecoin private keys and claim your Litecoin Cash.
What is the ticker symbol for Litecoin Cash?
Litecoin Cash will be represented by the ticker symbol LCC.
Can you explain it all in the form of a 9 second video involving a psychedelic unicorn?
- Our BCT [ANN] thread, 3 Feb 2018
- Smart Options: Litecoin Is Getting Lit With The LitecoinCash Hard Fork (1:10 Ratio), 4 Feb 2018
- Cripto Noticias: Bifurcación de Litecoin Cash permitirá usar antíguos equipos de minería de Bitcoin (Spanish), 6 Feb 2018
- Mega Change: Litecoin Cash - форк Litecoin? Афера или нет? (Russian), 8 Feb 2018
- Smart Options: The Litecoin Cash Interview, 8 Feb 2018
- Crypto-Bit Brothers: Litecoin-Cash Forking Off Litecoin, Free 10 to 1 Matching coins (Video), 8 Feb 2018
- Realist News: How to Get your LiteCoin Cash from the Fork (Video), 8 Feb 2018
- FXStreet: Developers say Litecoin fork is a reality, 9 Feb 2018
- Cliff On Crypto: Litecoin Cash! Scam? My Thoughts on it! Q&A (Video), 9 Feb 2018
- Coin Bureau: Get Ready for Litecoin Cash the Upcoming Litecoin Fork, 9 Feb 2018
- Cointelligence: First Litecoin hard fork promises to beat Bitcoin Cash at forking game, 9 Feb 2018
- Crypto Hearsay: LITECOIN CASH – WHAT IS IT LITECOIN CASH AND IS IT A SCAM? (Video), 9 Feb 2018
- Crypto-Bit Brothers: Lets Review Once More the Safe Way To Receive Free Coins, While Giving Up One's Private Key (Video), 10 Feb 2018
- Mega Change: Ваш форк — очередная афера, сэр? Разработчик LitecoinCash Тэннер дает ответы на главные вопросы (Russian), 10 Feb 2018
- The Independant Republic: 4 Reasons To Be Bullish About Litecoin, 12 Feb 2018
- RoadtoRoota: Clif High Update & Litcoin Cash = Solution Looking for a Problem? (Video), 12 Feb 2018
- Benzinga: Litecoin Cash Is Coming, 13 Feb 2018
- Comparic.pl: Litecoin Cash - przygotujcie się na fork LTC (Polish), 13 Feb 2018
- Business Insider: Litecoin is surging as first 'hard fork' date approaches, 14 Feb 2018
- Fortune: Litecoin Nearly Doubles Its Value in Under 2 Weeks, 14 Feb 2018
- Forbes: Litecoin Rises Close To 40% As Markets Await Hard Fork, 14 Feb 2018
- NASDAQ: Here's Why Litecoin Is Soaring Today, 14 Feb 2018
- CNBC: Litecoin jumps 30 percent as traders bet on more users, upcoming split into litecoin cash, 14 Feb 2018
- David_Brz: Como ganhar suas moedas com o fork do LTC (Portugese Video), 14 Feb 2018
- Inverse: Litecoin Price Surging: Why the Cryptocurrency Is Skyrocketing in Value, 14 Feb 2018
- TNW: Litecoin surges ahead of upcoming hard fork, 15 Feb 2018
- Inverse: What You Need to Know About Litecoin Cash, the Upcoming Hard Fork, 15 Feb 2018
- Trading With Paul: How to Stay Safe Using Exodus Wallet! (Video), 15 Feb 2018
- Profit Confidential: Litecoin Cash Forecast: 7 Facts to Know Before the Split, 15 Feb 2018
- forklog: Litecoin Cash – что необходимо знать о предстоящем хардфорке «цифрового серебра», 15 Feb 2018
- CoinDesk: No, 'Litecoin Cash' Isn't Bitcoin Cash All Over Again, 16 Feb 2018
- Investopedia: Litecoin Cash (LCC), 16 Feb 2018
- k0dlaty: Litecoin FORK to Litecoin Cash [PL], 16 Feb 2018
- Forbes: Litecoin Has Rallied More Than 60% This Week, 16 Feb 2018
- Investing.com: Here Comes Litecoin Cash, 16 Feb 2018
- Profit Confidential: Litecoin Cash Forecast: 7 Facts to Know Before the Split, 16 Feb 2018
- FX Empire: Bitcoin Gives up $11,000 as the Market Prepares for the Litecoin Fork, 18 Feb 2018
- TokenRader24: The ‘Litecoin Cash’ and ‘Bitcoin Cash’ Saga Aren’t the Same, 18 Feb 2018
- REALIST NEWS: Litecoin Cash FORK is Complete (Video), 18 Feb 2018
- Rozara's Investments: LITECOIN CASH is HERE! LCC wallet coming soon!, 18 Feb 2018
- Bitsonline: So, the ‘Litecoin Cash’ Hard Fork Happened – Is It Legit?, 19 Feb 2018
- FX Empire: Bitcoin on the Move, While Litecoin Cash Steals the Show, 19 Feb 2018
- NASDAQ: Litecoin Hard Fork Produces Litecoin Cash, 19 Feb 2018
- The Market Mogul: Litecoin Cash Fork: New Coin Hits $5 Mark in First Day of Trading, 19 Feb 2018
- CNBC: Litecoin rallies after ‘hard fork’ results in creation of spinoff, 20 Feb 2018
- Forbes: Litecoin Reaches 1-Month High After Hard Fork, 20 Feb 2018
- Express: Litecoin hard fork pushes UP cryptocurrency price, 20 Feb 2018
- Express: Litecoin cash price live: Litecoin fork value SURGES - why is Litecoin Cash rising?, 21 Feb 2018